Monday, May 28, 2012

The Hot Wire

Hot Wire Across Drive way
 So worried that Walker would get out onto our road that is too well traveled,even tho it is a dead end road , I didn't want him to start leaving our yard.

Beings he accidently hit the hot wire around our field where our steers are I figured that would be the best way to keep him in the yard.  Just hang some flags on it and fake him into thinking it was hot would be the tickit.  Well that worked for some time.  Then we did eventually make it hot.

So I continued to put him out and didn't worry.  One day though my friend came walking up the side walk with Walker in tow and she had found him down the road.  So now I was suspecting that he was getting under the one wire that we had made hot but couldn't understand why he wasn't getting shocked.

My only thought was to trick him and catch him in the act.  So I dug out the old shock collar and put it on him the next morning when I put him out to do his business. I  followed him until he was done and just that fast he headed for the wire and under he went.  I pushed the button and he yelped and back he came.
 I had been watching him for a while and I needed to go into the house to do my business and when I came out he was GONE.  Dear me now where did he go?  I was on my way to get the whistle that I use to make him come and there he was in his dog house "POUTING".  I was in a hurry so as not to be late for church so I just left him in there.

When I came home I let him out and took off the collar and he immediately crawled under Craigs tree(that is another Story) and I couldn't coax him out.  Finally with a piece of lunch meat out he came but still not very happy.

I did lots of baby talking to him and then took him for a 2 mile hike on the Cazadero trail and finally he liked me again. 
Today he has been pretty good about not getting too close to the wire while we were out side so I do have my fingers crossed that he got the message loud and clear.

Walker not wanting to get any closer to the wire with the little flags

No comments:

Post a Comment